Some plants may look beautiful, but they can have a devastating effect. Nonnative invasive plants effect human health, economics, forest ecology and recreational interests. The North Shore is fortunate to have not experienced the invasions other parts of the state have. However, that does not mean we are immune. We need your help to keep invasives from spreading.
Sugarloaf is working to help you control and prevent invasives along the North Shore.
Community Forest Restoration Shed Invasive Control Supplies
Due to staffing limitations and health and safety concerns, we will be offering herbicides and supplies only to people who have completed the training in past years. Pick-up dates for supplies are July 8, July 22, August 12 and August 19, 10 am – noon ONLY. There is a fee of $10 per person, payable by check or cash when you pick up your supplies. YOU MUST REGISTER FOR A PICK-UP DATE. DROP-INS ARE NOT ALLOWED. All participants must wear masks. If you do not have a mask, we have some available.
Equipment for the shed was purchased with the assistance from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation’s Sustain our Great Lakes grant, Cook County SWCD and the US Forest Service. Trainings are in partnership the U.S. Forest Service.
Invasive Plant Identification and Treatment
- Arrowhead Invasive Species Pocket Guide – PDF
Identification guide for common invasive plants of the MN Arrowhead
- List of current MN prohibited noxious weeds
- Native thistle photos and thistle identification chart
- Arrowhead Invasives Species Management calendar
Chart showing when and how to treat select invasive species
Native plant sources
- Boreal Natives, Cloquet, MN 218-729-7001
- Gunflint Gardens, Grand Marais, MN 218-387-2469
- Hammarlund Nursery, Esko, MN 218-879-3600
- Itasca Greenhouse, Cohasset, MN 1-800-538-8733
- Leaning Pine Native Landscape Company, South Range, WI 715-398-5453
- North Central Reforestation, Inc. Evansville, MN , 1-877-702-5579
- Maxwell’s Woodland Nursery, Finland, MN 218-353-7726
- South St. Louis County SWCD, Duluth, MN , 218-723-4867 (Order deadline is April 15, 2016)
- Minnesota State Forest Nursery, Akeley, MN 218-652-2385