Some plants may look beautiful, but they can have a devastating effect. Nonnative invasive plants effect human health, economics, forest ecology and recreational interests. The North Shore is fortunate to have not experienced the invasions other parts of the state have. However, that does not mean we are immune. We need your help to keep invasives from spreading.
Sugarloaf is working to help you control and prevent invasives along the North Shore.
Community Forest Restoration Shed Training Session.
Do you want to remove invasive plants like tansy or Canada thistle from your land but don’t know how or don’t have the right equipment?
The Community Forest Restoration Shed at Sugarloaf Cove houses tools, herbicide application equipment, and herbicides that are available for anyone to use. People wishing to use herbicides must participate in a two-hour training on herbicides, safety, and invasive plants of the North Shore.
During the training sessions, participants will learn how herbicides work, how to apply herbicides correctly and safely, and alternate control methods. Herbicides and herbicide application equipment is available during training times ONLY. A list of equipment that is available for use can be found HERE.
Training session cost is $20/person. $18 for members of Sugarloaf.
Payment will be collected online when you register. YOU MUST REGISTER TO ATTEND.
Registration is limited to 10 people.
Equipment for the shed was purchased with the assistance from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation’s Sustain our Great Lakes grant. Trainings are in partnership with the Cook County Invasives Team and the U.S. Forest Service.
Invasive Plant Identification and Treatment
- Arrowhead Invasive Species Pocket Guide – PDF
Identification guide for common invasive plants of the MN Arrowhead
- List of current MN prohibited noxious weeds
- Native thistle photos and thistle identification chart
- Arrowhead Invasives Species Management calendar
Chart showing when and how to treat select invasive species
Native plant sources
- Boreal Natives, Cloquet, MN 218-729-7001
- Gunflint Gardens, Grand Marais, MN 218-387-2469
- Hammarlund Nursery, Esko, MN 218-879-3600
- Itasca Greenhouse, Cohasset, MN 1-800-538-8733
- Leaning Pine Native Landscape Company, South Range, WI 715-398-5453
- North Central Reforestation, Inc. Evansville, MN , 1-877-702-5579
- Maxwell’s Woodland Nursery, Finland, MN 218-353-7726
- South St. Louis County SWCD, Duluth, MN , 218-723-4867 (Order deadline is April 15, 2016)
- Minnesota State Forest Nursery, Akeley, MN 218-652-2385